What is self-esteem ?
Self-esteem is the way we feel about ourselves. When we feel good within, our performance goes up and our relationships improve both at home and at work. The world look nicer. Because there is a direct correlation between our feelings and behavior .
A few years ago in a jail: A convict said to the jailer ‘’ I’m going to be released from the prison in a couple of weeks and so happy I am.’’ The jailer said to him ‘’what are you going to do when you leave jail?’’ he told the jailer he is going to try to be a contributing member of society. The jailer asked him the same question again and he gave the same answer. The jailer asked him, ‘’ What are you going to do when you leave jail?’’ Obviously, he was looking for a different answer. At this point, In an angry tone, he said, ‘’I am going to be a contributing member of society.’’ Then the jailer pointed out to him that there was a word of difference in what he said earlier and what he said now. First he had said, ‘’ I am going to try to be’’ and now he said ‘’ I am going to be.’’ The difference is the word ‘’try’’. Either we do something or we don’t. The word ‘’try’’ kept the door open for him to come back to jail.
in reality, having high self-esteem comes from the ability to see yourself confident, special and unique all the time.
Do you see yourself as special and unique? Do you have high self-esteem? Do you have confidence on yourself?
1. Believe in your inner beauty
Don’t say to yourself that you are not beautiful nor unique. You are beautiful and peaceful . There is no one on earth like you and you have a lot to offer to humanity. Looks always to your inner beauty.
2. Believe in your mind power
Know that the way you see yourself comes from the power of your thoughts and mind. Use your mind power and the power of your thoughts to develop love for yourself. Once you begin to see yourself as unique, people around you will begin to see you in the same way.
3. Focus on your positive qualities
You have to realize that you as a human being have good and positive qualities. Always surround yourself with people who think you are beautiful and who enjoy your company and your positive qualities. Focusing on your positive attributes and surrounding yourself with positive friends will help you better accept yourself and hence build your self-esteem.
4. Overcome your negative habits
If you have a negative habit that you don’t like, make plans to get rid of it. Once you substitute your negative habit with a positive one, your self-esteem will improve.
5. Speak up
Many people never speak up because they’re afraid that people will judge them of think of them negatively. The simple fact is that these are fears everyone experiences. By making an effort to speak up at least once in every group discussion. You will become a better public speaker. You feel yourself more confident .
6. Practice good posture
By practicing good posture, you will automatically feel more confident. Stand up straight, keep your head up, and make eye contact. You will make a positive impression on others and instantly feel more alert and empowered.
7. Don’t always try to please others
It is great to be considerate of others, but think sacrificing your own needs to please them. You can’t make happy to all . Make sure yourself what is right and wrong and go with it. Don’t allow yourself to be used.
- A good trick to starting to build self-confidence is to pick something about yourself that you do like (EVERYONE has at least one aspect about them that they like) and say to yourself ‘’ I am (aspect) and I am awesome ! ‘’ Then pick something that you want to improve; ‘’ I am going to _____________ and life will rock even more because ____________ !’’ pick a time to repeat this, like every time you brush your teeth or rub your eyes. Examples: ‘’ I am a good artist ! I am going to be less shy and life will rock even more because more people will see my art !’’ ‘’ I am clever ! I am going to think things out more to solve minor problems around me . life is in my control ! ‘’
- Smile at yourself in the mirror every day and at least TRY to smile at others .